Built in c. 1750, Judge Laban Wheaton, founder of Wheaton Female Seminary, purchased the house in 1819 for his home. Formerly located on the southeast corner of Routes 123 and 140, the house was used as an inn (the “Mansion… Read More »
1819 - 1965Wheaton Inn / Mansion House
Built in 1829 by Laban Morey Wheaton for his bride Eliza Baylies Chapin, the house became the College President’s residence upon the death of Eliza Wheaton in 1905.
1830 - 1910Mary Lyon
Mary Lyon was a pioneer in American education who acted as a consultant to the Wheaton family at the founding of the Seminary and established the curriculum.
1834Wheaton is born
Eliza Wheaton Strong, the only daughter of Judge and Mrs. Laban Wheaton, dies at the age of 39, on March 25. Eliza Baylies Chapin Wheaton, daughter-in-law of the Judge, convinces him to found a female seminary in memory of his… Read More »
1834 - PresentThe Sem / Seminary Hall / 3 Howard St.
Built in 1834 on the site where the north wing of Mary Lyon Hall now stands, Seminary Hall was the original classroom building for Wheaton Female Seminary. It was moved and re-purposed several times. In 1933 it was moved to… Read More »
1835 - 1837Eunice Caldwell
While developing Wheaton Female Seminary’s original academic plan, Mary Lyon also recommended the school’s first principal. She chose her colleague Eunice Caldwell, a fellow teacher at Ipswich Female Seminary, a school that followed a rigorous academic plan similar to the… Read More »
On January 23, the first public announcement of Wheaton Female Seminary appeared in the Boston Recorder.
1836 - 1934The Boarding House
The first, and until 1901 the only, dormitory at Wheaton, the Boarding House was begun in 1836, “talked into existence” by Mary Lyon, encouraged by Eliza Baylies Wheaton. Until its construction, students boarded with the Wheaton families and with other… Read More »
Judge Laban Wheaton conveyed the deed of Seminary Hall to the Board of Trustees, noting the change in the school’s name from Norton Female Seminary to Wheaton Female Seminary.
1837 - 1838Susan Palmer
Susan Palmer, the one remaining full-time teacher at Wheaton following Eunice Caldwell’s departure for Mt. Holyoke Female Seminary, served as head teacher during the winter term of 1837-1838.
1838 - 1840Eliza R. Knight
Eliza R. Knight, from Ipswich Seminary, became the principal of Wheaton Female Seminary in 1838, remaining until 1840. Miss Knight chose the Seminary motto, “Who drinks will thirst for more” (John 4:13), and designed a related seal containing a fountain.
Childless after nine years of marriage, Eliza Baylies Wheaton and Laban Morey Wheaton adopted his young cousin Laban Wild (1835 – 1853).
Fanny Morey Wheaton, wife of Judge Laban, donates the Seminary’s first piano.
Judge Wheaton presents the Seminary’s first degrees to four graduates.