Though the College had long tracked the religious affiliation of applicants in some form or another, it did not become a deciding factor in admissions until the mid-1920s. In a 1926 letter to President Park, Edith White, Director of Admission,… Read More »
Mayo D. Hersey speaks at commencement.
The Nursery School is founded by Professor of Psychology and Education Dr. Elizabeth Wheeler Amen.
Built in 1931 entirely by college workmen under the direction of Mr. Cutler in cooperation with the Education and Psychology Departments, the Nursery School cost $10,400. The Nursery School was enlarged in 1937, when a one-way vision observation screen was… Read More »
1931 - 1995Oceans View
Acquired in 1931, the house was remodeled into a two-family residence in 1932, using many fixtures and lumber taken from the demolished portion of Old Metcalf Hall. A porch was added in 1935. The barn was renovated into a practice,… Read More »
Marjorie Hope Nicolson, Dean of Smith College, speaks at Commencement.
1931 - 1989Dr. Ernest John Knapton
Member of the history department from 1931 to 1969, and Professor Emeritus from 1969 to 1989, Dr. Knapton was educated at the University of British Columbia, Oxford University (where he was a Rhodes Scholar) and Harvard University.
A Flying Club is organized by Edna Fishman.
Kilham Hall, designed by Cram and Ferguson, was built in the winter and spring of 1932 on the site of the west wing of Old Metcalf Hall. In 1933, when New Metcalf Hall was constructed, the two dormitories were connected… Read More »
Dr. William Trufant Foster, former president of Reed College, speaks at Commencement.
Containing a series of parlors, Hebe Parlors connected through arched doorways with Metcalf and Kilham Halls. The thirteen parlors, in which students could entertain their guests (especially men!), were named to commemorate dates and people important to Wheaton Seminary and… Read More »
Metcalf and Hebe opened in Febrary 1933, despite the deepening Great Depression. The continuing construction at Wheaton was possible because of Mrs. Wheaton’s bequest to the College. Part of Metcalf’s basement was used for a smoking room, and the dormitory… Read More »
Sophie Chantal Hart, professor at Wellesley College, speaks at commencement.
The administration building, designed by the architectural firm of Cram and Ferguson, was built in 1934 on the site of the southeast wing of Old Metcalf Hall. The building remained unnamed until its re-dedication in 1954 in honor of the… Read More »
Alan Chester Valentine, the Chairman of the Board of Admissions at Yale University, speaks at Commencement.
Dr. Mary E. Woolley, President of Mount Holyoke College, is an Honorary Degree Recipient.
1934 - 1984Madeleine Clark Wallace
Madeleine Clark Wallace was a member of the class of 1934. The Madeleine Clark Wallace Library was named in her honor at her fiftieth reunion in 1984.
Wheaton celebrates its Centennial at Commencement, with two days of festivities.
Edith M. White, Professor of Economics from 1926 to 1930 and Dean of Freshman from 1929 to 1935, built this house in 1929. Miss White bequeathed “Hollyhock House” to the College in 1935. This house was occupied by the Dean… Read More »
1935 - 1962Little Theatre
The barn in back of Oceans View was renovated into a practice, or “little,” theatre in 1935. Little Theatre was demolished in 1962 when Watson Fine Arts Center was built.