Edith M. White, professor of economics from 1926 to 1930 and dean of freshmen from 1929 to 1935, built this house in 1929.
Miss White bequeathed Hollyhock House to the College in 1935. For many years, it was occupied by the dean of the College or the
Shortly after the house was built, Miss White held a contest to decide what to do with the garden in the back and to try and find a name for the house. Ethel Richmond, a library staff member, submitted a drawing of a hollyhock garden and won both contests.