This building was built as a science and assembly hall in 1911. It was the first classroom building to be constructed at Wheaton since the additions made to Mary Lyon Hall in 1878. A wing added in 1941 to provide… Read More »
1911 - PresentKnapton Hall/ Science Hall
1913Grace F. Shepard
Grace F. Shepard was a member of the English Department from 1913 to 1940 and author of Reference History of Wheaton College (1931).
Agnes Riddell was a Professor of Romance Languages from 1922-1940. Miss Riddell was Acting Dean from 1923 to 1925, and Professor Emerita from 1940 until her death in 1950.
1926 - 1940Art Studio
The small wood-frame, barn-like structure was built by college carpenters in 1926 between the Doll’s House and Gymnasium. This fire hazard of a building had no heat or running water, making it inconvenient and unusable for several months of the… Read More »
1926 - 1944John Edgar Park
The Reverend John Edgar Park (1879-1956) became president in 1926. Wheaton’s growth and vitality during Park’s presidency is particularly noteworthy: student enrollment increased steadily and the building program begun by President Cole continued. J. Edgar Park retired in 1944 at… Read More »
1940 - PresentBalfour-Hood Center/ Student Alumnae Building
Constructed with funds raised by alumnae and students beginning in 1928, the Student Alumnae Building (SAB) constructed in 1940, was the first building in the Modern, or International, style at Wheaton. The architects were Caleb Hornbostel and Richard M. Bennett,… Read More »
Dr. Sidney B. Fay, Professor of History at Harvard University, speaks at Commencement.
Walker Evans, a noted photographer and recipient of several Guggenheim Fellowships, makes four visits to Wheaton during 1940-1941 to lecture and photograph the campus.
1941 - 1914Walter Oscar McIntire
“Dr. Mac,” Walter Oscar McIntire was the Professor of Philosophy and Education from 1914 to 1941 and Professor Emeritus from 1941 to 1956. A beloved teacher, students knew him as gentle, dedicated, serious, and approachable. He performed marriage ceremonies for… Read More »
1941 - PresentCounseling Center/ 42 Howard St./ Naylor House
42 Howard Street was named for Annie M. Naylor, from whom it was purchased in 1941. 42 Howard Street is now the Counseling Center.
1941 - 2001Naylor House/ 40 Howard St.
A student house on Howard St. was named for Mrs. Naylor, from whom the property was purchased by the College in 1941. The construction of Beard Hall required the removal of the Infirmary built in 1954 and the 19th century… Read More »
1941 - 1972Holcombe Austin
Holcombe Austin was a Professor of Philosophy from 1941 to 1972 (emeritus, 1972-2003).
A 1942 graduate of Wheaton, she is the wife of Robert S. Weil, Wheaton Trustee from 1968 to 1992, and Emeritus since 1992. A lounge on the main level of the Library Stair Tower in the Madeleine Clark Wallace Library… Read More »
Dr. John Edgar Park, Wheaton College President, speaks at Commencement.
The Student War Activities Board, or SWAB, organizes war relief efforts.
Dr. Barrows took responsibility for the college’s herbarium, and in 1946 was made director of the Department of Gardens, Trees and Shrubs.
In November the Alumnae Office sent out letters asking alumni what they were doing to aid the war effort.
Vera Micheles Dean, Research Director of the Foreign Policy Association, speaks at Commencement.
Grace B. Park, wife of Wheaton President J. Edgar Park, is an Honorary Degree Recipient.
1944 - 1961Alexander H. Meneely
Dartmouth College Professor of History Alexander Howard Meneely (1899-1961) began his 17-year tenure when Dr. Park retired in 1944, faced with leading the College in a period of post-war confusion and rising costs. Enrollment growth allowed Wheaton to expand and… Read More »