1941 - 2003
Holcombe Austin was a professor of philosophy from 1941 to 1972.
Both Professor Austin and his wife, Ethelind, a library employee for many years, were famous on campus for their bike-riding and love of travel. The Austin House was built by Austin in 1961 in a way that emphasized his love of nature.
Austin was awarded an honorary degree in 1990.