Chapin was the first brick building at Wheaton, and the first structure to be placed according to the campus plan devised in 1897/8.
According to the Taunton News (June 14 1900), the senior class chose an already standing elm tree and conducted their commencement exercises around it. With time, the tradition evolved into each senior class choosing a day during the second week… Read More »
Dr. George Herbert Palmer, Professor of Philosophy at Harvard University, speaks at Commencement.
Students are allowed only two baths per week.
Marion Gebbie, class of 1901, a quiet and shy woman who suffered from Paget’s Disease, devoted her life after graduation to her parents and to charitable works.
Reverend Joseph Dunn Burrell of Brooklyn, NY, speaks at commencement.
In 1902, Booker T. Washington, the founder of the Tuskegee Normal and Industrial Institute and the most prominent African-American leader in the country at that time, requested that his daughter, Portia, be admitted to Wheaton. This forced Wheaton to consider… Read More »
Originally located on East Main Street east of Seminary Hall (Mary Lyon Hall), this house was owned by Mrs. Wheaton who sold it to Mr. Gibbs ca. 1851. Wheaton Seminary acquired it in 1902 as part of the Boynton Estate.… Read More »
Reverend James G. Vose of Providence, RI, speaks at commencement.
Completed in 1903, the gymnasium was designed by George Tilden of Rotch and Tilden. The building was converted to the Admission Center in 1966, after construction of the Clark Recreation Center. After the Haas Athletic Center opened in 1991, the… Read More »
Hammond LaMont of New York, New York speaks at Commencement.
1903 - 1916Class Books Published
The first senior class book is printed.
This building served as the Power house and laundry until 1925, when a third floor was added and it was remodeled into a residence. Called “Tower Hall” at that time, it was commonly referred to as the “Doll’s House” by… Read More »
The Honorable Charles E. Littlefield, US Representative from Maine, speaks at commencement. Learn more about Littlefield at Wikipedia.
Eliza Baylies Wheaton sits for a portrait by renowned painter John W. Alexander.
Acquired in 1905, 34-36 East Main Street, this house is probably the one which was deeded to Laban M. Wheaton by his father with his home farm. It was apparently sold and bought back again by Mrs. Wheaton, and was… Read More »
The land surrounding the Dimple was once part of a farm owned by Judge Laban Wheaton. Until 1905 a large barn and several elm trees stood in a natural depression in the ground. When the chapel was built in 1917,… Read More »
Mrs. Wheaton called this the “Double House” when she rented it to two families. She then left it to Wheaton College in her will. King Cottage was the infirmary from 1908 to 1954, when it was remodeled into three faculty… Read More »
Bliss Perry, Editor of Atlantic Monthly, speaks at Commencement.
Eliza Baylies Chapin Wheaton dies on June 2, at the age of 95.