Originally used to house Mrs. Wheaton’s male help, White House, at 13 Howard Street, was acquired in 1905, renovated in 1927, and was the French house until 1937. While the French house, it was required that students speak only French.… Read More »
1906 - 1934Ida Josephine Everett
Ida Josephine Everett taught English and psychology from 1906 to 1913 and English literature from 1912 to 1928. She was the first dean of the College from 1912 to 1921. A native of Walpole, she graduated from Mount Holyoke College,… Read More »
The Reverend Arcturus Z. Conrad speaks at commencement.
Reverend George Hodges, dean of the Episcopal Theological School in Cambridge, speaks at commencement for a second time.
The green between Chapin, Larcom, and Emerson Dining Hall, created in 1908, was for many years the site for outdoor basketball games. Games at the time, played with a peach basket mounted on a pole (no backboard), resulted in scores… Read More »
Emerson and Larcom Halls were both designed by Ripley & Russell and built in 1908. Emerson Dining Hall appeared in Good Housekeeping Magazine as one of the most beautiful dining halls in the U.S. Originally Emerson had an attractive open… Read More »
Designed by Ripley and Russell, this dormitory and Emerson Dining Hall were both built in 1908. During the 1938 hurricane part of the cornice was blown off, and the rest was taken down over the Christmas vacation. As a result,… Read More »
Talcott Williams, director of the school of journalism at Columbia University, speaks at commencement.
1909 - 1946Sarah Belle Young, Honorary Degree Recipient
Sarah Belle Young, professor of English, registrar and secretary to the faculty from 1909 to 1946, is awarded an honorary degree. Miss Young experienced many changes at Wheaton, having arrived in the days of the Seminary and its many restrictions.… Read More »
Reverend Edward Cummings of South Church in Boston, MA, speaks at commencement.