The green between Chapin Hall, Larcom Hall and Emerson Dining Hall, created in 1908, was for many years the site for outdoor basketball games. Games at the time, played with a peach basket mounted on a pole (no backboard), resulted in scores of 2-3 or 4-0.
This was also where members of the sophomore class constructed the daisy chain carried by the seniors on Senior Day. The space was named “Barrows Green” in 1953 to honor retiring Assistant Professor of Botany and Biology, Florence L. Barrows. The plan to make the space a bowling green never materialized.