Acquired when Mrs. Wheaton deeded the “Gravel Lot” to the Trustees in 1894, it was used for several purposes before being demolished in 1972. Originally used as a harness shop, the Wheeler or “New” House had been remodeled into a… Read More »
1894 - 197238 Howard St./ Wheeler House/ New House
1911 - PresentKnapton Hall/ Science Hall
This building was built as a science and assembly hall in 1911. It was the first classroom building to be constructed at Wheaton since the additions made to Mary Lyon Hall in 1878. A wing added in 1941 to provide… Read More »
Marian Merrill was a 1922 Wheaton graduate who returned to become the Head of the Library Circulation Department in 1927.
1931 - PresentAlumnae Guest House/ Old Nursery School
Built in 1931 entirely by college workmen under the direction of Mr. Cutler in cooperation with the Education and Psychology Departments, the Nursery School cost $10,400. The Nursery School was enlarged in 1937, when a one-way vision observation screen was… Read More »
1962 - 1975William C. H. Prentice
William C.H. Prentice (1915- ), a psychology professor and administrator from Swarthmore College, held the Wheaton presidency from 1962 until 1975, completing the building program necessary to accommodate an enrollment that grew to 1200, and completing Wheaton’s first successful capital… Read More »
1964 - 1939Richard P. Chapman
Richard P. Chapman was a member of the Board of Trustees from 1939 to 1970, and its chairman from 1947 to 1964. Mr. Chapman was the Director of New England Merchants Bank and a trustee of many other institutions.
Wheaton faculty and students vote to join other colleges and universities in a nationwide protest over the massacre of students at Kent State and Jackson State Universities.
Frank A. Tredinnick, Jr., Executive Director of New England Association of Colleges & Secondary Schools, speaks at Commencement.
Paul C. Helmreich, Associate Professor of History at Wheaton College, speaks at Commencement.
After an extensive study on the future of the college, the faculty vote in favor of coeducation.
Sara Crum was Coordinator of Campus Events from 1971 to 1987. Mrs. Crum was honored at her retirement by having a small meeting room off the Faculty Dining Room, in Emerson Dining Hall, formerly a coat closet, named in her… Read More »
1971 - 2008Anson McCook Beard, Jr.
Mr. Beard served as a member of the Board of Trustees from 1971 until his retirement in 2008, when he was named Trustee emeritus. He served on the Executive and Resources committees, co-chaired the Campaign for Wheaton in the 1990s,… Read More »
In 1971, as a result of the Civil Rights Movement, the enrollment of African-American students increase substantially.
Jewel Plummer Cobb, Dean of Connecticut College, speaks at Commencement and is awarded an Honorary Degree.
Marjorie Person Ford, Assistant to Wheaton President, is an Honorary Degree Recipient.
Ruth Moore Clark, P’53 & ’60, is an Honorary Degree Recipient.
1972 - 1931Dr. Ernest John Knapton
Member of the history department from 1931 to 1969, and Professor Emeritus from 1969 to 1989, Dr. Knapton was educated at the University of British Columbia, Oxford University (where he was a Rhodes Scholar) and Harvard University.
1972 - PresentBittersweet House
This house, along with Elms and Lindens, was used as a dormitory by the private girls’ school The House in the Pines. Founded in 1911 by Miss Gertrude Cornish, The House in the Pines was a secondary and finishing school.… Read More »
1972 - 1960Brackett H. Clark
Mr. Clark was a trustee from 1960 to 1975 (emeritus). His two daughters Virginia, class of 1953, and Helen, class of 1960, are Wheaton graduates.
1972 - PresentElms House
This house, along with Bittersweet and Lindens, was used as a dormitory by the private girls’ school House in the Pines until the school closed in 1972.