The Rev. Alfred Emerson (1812-1896) served as Wheaton Seminary Trustee from 1872 to 1893 and Treasurer from 1880 to 1891. He and his wife were among Eliza Baylies Wheaton’s closest friends and advisors. Emerson provided fundamental leadership for the Seminary… Read More »
Reverend L.T. Townsend, Professor of Theology, speaks at Commencement.
Reverend William Crawford speaks at Commencement.
On Saturday, October 8, the Walking Club is organized, with a membership of four.
Harriet Augusta Newcomb presented the Old Town Hall to the town in 1882 as a tribute to her father, Nathaniel Newcomb. The College purchased the Old Town Hall from the town of Norton in 1982. Using the building for storage… Read More »
Reverend James G. Vose of Providence, Rhode Island speaks at Commencement.
The chemistry class experiments with photography for the first time.
Reverend R.R. Meredith of Boston, Massachusetts speaks at Commencement.
1884 - 1908Bowling Alley
A 50th Anniversary gift to the Seminary from Eliza Baylies Wheaton, the Bowling Alley was constructed in 1884 between the apple orchard (in back of Mary Lyon Hall and in front of Knapton) and the edge of the Dimple. This… Read More »
Mrs. Wheaton gave the original lead statue and fountain of Hebe, the “cupbearer to the gods,” to the Seminary for its fiftieth anniversary in 1884. In the fall of 1932 Hebe was moved to the courtyard created by the new… Read More »
Reverend Joseph T. Duryea of Boston, Massachusetts speaks at Commencement.
Mary Bailey Lincoln, class of 1864 and first principal of the Boston Cooking School, publishes The Boston Cooking School Cookbook.
Reverend Jacob Ide of Mansfield, Massachusetts speaks at Commencement.
Reverend E.G. Robinson, President of Brown University, speaks at Commencement.
Wheaton celebrates its fiftieth anniversary.
Reverend William Elliot Griffis of Boston, Massachusetts speaks at Commencement.
Reverend George A. Gordon of Boston, Massachusetts speaks at Commencement.
Reverend W.B. Webb of Boston, Massachusetts speaks at Commencement.
1888 - 1989Old Norton Public Library
Built on Wheaton land and presented to the Town of Norton by Eliza Baylies Wheaton in 1888, the old Norton Public Library reverted to Wheaton College a century later when the town constructed a new library in 1989.
Samuel Austin Chapin was the brother of Mrs. Wheaton, and a Trustee from 1889-1890.