Wheaton announces its first endowment campaign. The “2-6-0 Campaign” has a goal of one million dollars.
Reverend Raymond Calkins speaks at commencement.
On November 1, the first edition of the Wheaton News is published.
Dr. Leavitt Bates, who lived in the house at 5 Pine Street (Dr. Shook’s residence for many years, razed in 1957 for the construction of Young Hall), built this house for his son David Bates. Purchased by the College in… Read More »
This residence hall was built in 1921. The current basement was originally a 75 person capacity dining room and a kitchenette, and was used as such until 1926 when Everett Dining Hall opened. For some time in the 1940’s, the… Read More »
Dr. Edward Page Mitchell, Editor of the New York Herald Tribune, speaks at Commencement.
1921 - 1940Arthur Cutler
Arthur Cutler (1874-1945) was the College’s Business Manager from 1921 to 1928 and the Manager of the Department of Grounds and Buildings from 1928 to 1940.
Her name was Shio Sakanishi, Class of 1925. She was a prolific essayist, author and lecturer. Born in Oiso, Japan, near Tokyo, Shio purposely sought out an American college where there were no other Japanese students. When she applied to… Read More »
The house at 6 Library Square was purchased in 1922 for use as a dormitory. Also known as the Boynton House, it was used as a residence for male staff for some time, and then for about 30 students until… Read More »
The Reverend Samuel McChord Crothers speaks at commencement. Learn more about Crothers at Wikipedia.
Emily Stearns Hartwell, Missionary, is an Honorary Degree Recipient.
1922 - 1950Agnes Riddell
Agnes Riddell was a Professor of Romance Languages from 1922-1940. Miss Riddell was Acting Dean from 1923 to 1925 and Professor Emerita from 1940 until her death in 1950.
Marian Merrill was a 1922 Wheaton graduate who returned to become the Head of the Library Circulation Department in 1927.
With the construction of the Library at the southern end of the Dimple, Ralph Adams Cram’s plan for a “Court of Honor” is completed.
Wheaton’s Library began in a room in Old Metcalf Hall, was moved to the Gymnasium in 1869, and to a specially designed room in Seminary (Mary Lyon) Hall in 1879. The collection was moved to the Chapel Basement in 1918-19.… Read More »
The first Candle Light Ceremony was held in 1923, inviting new students to join the Religious Association or YWCA, which, with the Athletic Association, organized most campus activities.
Calvin Coolidge, Vice President (and later President) of the United States, speaks at Commencement.
Mrs. Corinne Roosevelt Robinson, sister of Teddy Roosevelt, speaks at Commencement.
1925George T. Smart
Upon President’s Cole’s death in 1925, the Board of Trustees had little by way of searching for a successor. To fill the gap, Dr. Rev. George T. Smart undertook the role of Acting President (1925-1926).
The “new” Power House was built in 1925.