Barrows House, at 6 Library Square, was purchased in 1922 for use as a dormitory. Formerly known as Boynton House, it was used as a residence for male staff for some time and then for about 30 students until 1927, when the students were transferred to the newly opened French house, La Maison Blanche (White House). It was then was converted into faculty housing.
This house was named for Edwin Barrows, trustee from 1865 to 1908 and treasurer from 1891 to 1908. Edwin’s father, Albert Barrows, had been a trustee from 1845 to 1853.