Amen-Gulley House

Purchased from Blanch Wood in 1926, the house at 5 Howard Street is commonly thought to have been constructed by Laban Wheaton from two ells taken from different buildings he owned.

It was remodeled in 1929 and 1945 to house college workers. Used for staff and faculty housing, the house was usually named for its current occupant and has been called the Clapp, Wheeler, and Norton-Banning House, among other names. Today, it is commonly known as the Amen-Gulley House, after its long-time inhabitants, Elisabeth Wheeler Amen and Elsie E. Gulley.