The Rev. Alfred Emerson (1812-1896) served as Wheaton Seminary Trustee from 1872 to 1893 and Treasurer from 1880 to 1891. He and his wife were among Eliza Baylies Wheaton’s closest friends and advisors. Emerson provided fundamental leadership for the Seminary… Read More »
Samuel Austin Chapin was the brother of Mrs. Wheaton, and a Trustee from 1889-1890.
Reverend A.J. Gordon of Boston, Massachusetts speaks at Commencement.
Philips Brooks is made an honorary member of the Class of 1891, for whom he wrote a class song.
Reverend William M. Barbour, Principal of the College of British North America in Montreal, speaks at Commencement.
Reverend Arthur Little of Boston, Massachusetts speaks at Commencement.
Charles Cuthbert Hall, President of Union Theological Seminary, speaks at commencement.
Deeded to the Trustees by Mrs. Wheaton in 1894, this house was also known as the Brick Cottage or Wheaton Retreat. It was used as an infirmary because of its “airy rooms and sunny exposure” until the purchase of King… Read More »
1894 - 1972Wheeler House
Acquired when Mrs. Wheaton deeded the “Gravel Lot” to the Trustees in 1894, it was used for several purposes before being demolished in 1972. Originally used as a harness shop, the Wheeler or “New” House had been remodeled into a… Read More »
Mary A. Livermore of Melrose, MA, speaks at commencement.
Mary E. Woolley, class of 1884, is the first woman to graduate from Brown University.
1894 - 1938College Pines
Known as Seminary Woods, and later as College Pines, this area was a favorite destination for student walks. Graduating classes have been donating trees and other plantings to the College since at least 1903.
Dr. Wallace Nutting of Providence, Rhode Island, speaks at commencement.
Seminary students enjoy the new game of basketball.
Edward Everett Hale of Boston, Massachusetts, speaks at commencement.
1897 - 1925Samuel V. Cole
Reverend Dr. Samuel Valentine Cole, first president of Wheaton College, was one of the most influential figures in the college’s history. He served as a trustee from 1893 to 1925, Secretary of the Board from 1895 to 1908, President of… Read More »
President Cole asks the young Boston architect Ralph Adams Cram to visit campus and create a campus plan.
Electric lights are installed in the Seminary buildings.
Reverend Albert E. Dunning, Editor-in-chief of The Congregationalist, speaks at Commencement.
Reverend George Hodges speaks at Commencement.