Mabel Tingley Woolley was a member of the class of 1925. The Woolley Room in Mary Lyon Hall, originally the Seminary’s library, was named for her, as is the Woolley Electronic Classroom in the Madeleine Clark Wallace Library.
1925Ruth S. Berry
Ruth S. Berry was a member of the class of 1925. In 1983, a room in Mary Lyon Hall was dedicated to her through a gift she made for its renovation.
1925 - 1956Elsie Elizabeth Gulley
Elsie Elizabeth Gulley was a member of the history department from 1925 to 1956. The Amen-Gulley House was named after Elsie, along with Elisabeth Wheeler Amen, with whom she lived.
The “new” Power House was built in 1925.
1925George T. Smart
Upon President’s Cole’s death in 1925, the Board of Trustees had little by way of searching for a successor. To fill the gap, Dr. Rev. George T. Smart undertook the role of Acting President (1925-1926).
John Livingston Lowes, Professor of English at Harvard University, speaks at Commencement.
1926 - 1940Art Studio
The small wood-frame, barn-like structure was built by college carpenters in 1926 between the Doll’s House and Gymnasium. This fire hazard of a building had no heat or running water, making it inconvenient and unusable for several months of the… Read More »
Plans for this dormitory were drawn by Cram & Ferguson, and President Samuel Valentine Cole was seeking funding when he suddenly died in 1925. Acting President and Trustee Dr. George T. Smart brought Everett into being. At the building’s dedication… Read More »
Purchased from Blanch Wood in 1926, 5 Howard Street is commonly thought to have been constructed by Laban Wheaton from two ells taken from different buildings he owned. The house was remodeled in 1929 and 1945 to house college workers.… Read More »
1926 - 1935Edith M. White
Edith M. White was a Professor of Economics from 1926 to 1930 and Dean of Freshman from 1929 to 1935.
1926 - 1944John Edgar Park
The Reverend John Edgar Park (1879-1956) became president in 1926. Wheaton’s growth and vitality during Park’s presidency is particularly noteworthy: student enrollment increased steadily and the building program begun by President Cole continued. J. Edgar Park retired in 1944 at… Read More »
Dr. William Herbert Perry Faunce, President of Brown University, speaks at Commencement.
1927 - 1963Hodges House
Hodges House, originally called Wetherell House, was purchased from Thomas and Jessie T. Wetherell in 1927 for a faculty residence. After it was renovated, it was used for housing male workers, so it was sometimes called the “YMCA.” It was… Read More »
Cornelia James Cannon speaks at commencement and is awarded an honorary degree.
Kathryn Newell Adams, president of Constantinople Woman’s College, is awarded an honorary degree.
The Alumnae Council standardizes the class rings to the Pan and Pegasus designs.
Irving Babbitt, Professor at Harvard University, speaks at Commencement.
Though the College had long tracked the religious affiliation of applicants in some form or another, it did not become a deciding factor in admissions until the mid-1920s. In a 1926 letter to President Park, Edith White, Director of Admission,… Read More »
A marsh was excavated and transformed into Peacock Pond, which, in its first years, was used for swimming, boating and skating. Seniors first successfully floated their candles on it in 1930. The Greek Metcalf Temple on the pond’s western shore… Read More »
Sylvia Meadows 1918 is awarded an honorary degree. Meadows was a member of the board of trustees from 1927 to 1969 and secretary of the board from 1927 to 1964. She was the College’s first alumnae secretary, serving from 1921… Read More »