In 1929, a marsh was excavated and transformed into Peacock Pond, which, in its first years, was used for swimming, boating
A contest to name the pond resulted in “Peacock Pond” or “Peacock Mirror” because the Chapel‘s weathervane is reflected on its surface.
A wooden bridge also built in the 1930s was replaced with a cement bridge designed by Howard L. Rich, of Rich & Tucker Associates, in 1957. The location of the bridge was shifted north from the original bridge, which had been closer to the rocks. It serves as the main entrance to Lower Campus.
Over the years, Peacock Pond has been a favorite place of beloved Wheaton animals, including Cowduck and Dee the Dogg.