Metcalf Hall, connected to Kilham Hall via Hebe Parlors, opened in February of 1933 despite the deepening Great Depression. The continuing construction at Wheaton during this time was possible because of Mrs. Wheaton’s bequest to the College. Part of Metcalf’s basement was used for a smoking room, and the dormitory also had a guest room. This residence hall replaced the Boarding House, which had formerly been known as Metcalf Hall.
It was named in honor of Caroline Cutler Metcalf, p