The barn in back of Oceans View was renovated into a practice, or “little,” theatre in 1935. Little Theatre was demolished in 1962 when Watson Fine Arts Center was built.
1935 - 1962Little Theatre
The porch columns from the original 1836 section of Old Metcalf Hall were used in this Greek temple erected on the west shore of Peacock Pond in 1935, following the demolition of the original dormitory. The sundial originally stood in… Read More »
Wheaton celebrates its Centennial at Commencement, with two days of festivities.
Christopher Morley, author and critic, speaks at Commencement.
Purchased from Mr. Oldfield in 1936, the house at 46-48 East Main St. was remodelled and extended in 1937 to house two married faculty families. A large barn and other small outbuldings were demolished at that time. In a 1936… Read More »
Built into the hillside east of the Doll’s House, the Potato Cellar was used to store large quantities of potatoes grown on College land in the mid-1930s. The original statue of Hebe was stored here in the 1970s. The Potato… Read More »
William E. Hocking, professor of philosophy at Harvard University, speaks at commencement.
A granite bench and a bird-feeding station, designed by Ralph Adams Cram, were installed at the northeast corner of the Library in 1937. Its stand recalls Chinese bracketed supports, whereas the acroteria on its roof are Classical motifs; the copper… Read More »
A competition to design a modern fine arts center is sponsored by Wheaton College, the Museum of Art, and Architectural Forum.
Dr. Helen Wieand Cole, widow of Samuel Valentine Cole, speaks at Commencement.
During the mid-1930s, seeking to improve accommodations for its women faculty, the College planned a small housing development in back of Barrows House. Two houses were built on College Green entirely by college workmen, using lumber milled from Wheaton trees… Read More »
Allan Nevins, Professor of History at Columbia University, speaks at Commencement. Read more about Allan Nevins at Wikipedia and Columbia University.
Richard P. Chapman was a member of the Board of Trustees from 1939 to 1970, and its chairman from 1947 to 1964. Mr. Chapman was the Director of New England Merchants Bank and a trustee of many other institutions.