In 1844, a small gymnasium was built between Seminary Hall and the Boarding House (Old Metcalf Hall). It is believed to be the first freestanding gymnasium built at any women’s college in the U.S. In 1878, Mrs. Wheaton donated the… Read More »
1858 - 1870Ellen Medora Plimpton
Ellen Plimpton was hired as Wheaton’s first full-time teacher of calisthenics by her aunt, Mrs. Caroline Cutler Metcalf, who threatened to resign if Miss Plimpton was not hired. Previous to this, teachers led physical exercises in addition to their other… Read More »
1878Archery and Baseball Clubs Formed
Students practice archery for the first time.
1884 - 1908Bowling Alley
A 50th Anniversary gift to the Seminary from Eliza Baylies Wheaton, the Bowling Alley was constructed in 1884 between the apple orchard (in back of Mary Lyon Hall and in front of Knapton) and the edge of the Dimple. This… Read More »
1895Basketball is Enjoyed
Seminary students enjoy the new game of basketball.
1903Office of Admission
Completed in 1903, the gymnasium was designed by George Tilden of Rotch and Tilden. The building was converted to the Admission Center in 1966, after construction of the Clark Recreation Center. After the Haas Athletic Center opened in 1991, the… Read More »
1915Field Hockey Team Formed
The first varsity field hockey team is chosen.
1958Tennis Courts and Athletic Fields
Designed by Shurcliff, Shurcliff & Merrill in 1958, the new athletic fields and tennis courts behind the President’s House (to the east of Clark Recreation Center) replaced smaller units scattered across the campus.
1965Clark Recreation Center
Clark Recreation Center was built in 1965 to replace the 1903 Gymnasium. The Haas Athletic Center replaced it in 1991. Clark Recreation Center included offices, dressing rooms, storage space and a gymnasium. The teakwood-vaulted ceiling enclosed two basketball, six badminton,… Read More »
1981Lacrosse Team Excels
The Lacrosse team qualifies for a national competition.
Trustee Harry V. Keefe made possible the renovation of the soccer field south of the Meadows complex in memory of his first wife, Jean Mulcahy Keefe, class of 1944, and in honor of her class’s 45th reunion in 1989. Ground… Read More »
1991Haas Athletic Center
Haas Athletic Center was completed in 1991, replacing Clark Recreation Center. Haas Athletic Center was named for Evelyn Danzig Haas, class of 1939, Trustee from 1977 to 1989. The Gymnasium was named in honor of President Alice F. Emerson upon… Read More »
Trustee Jack Sidell donated a 500 seat stadium to be situated on Clark Field; ground was broken in February of 1996. President and chief executive officer of the Boston-based UST Corp., Mr. Sidell was elected to the Board of Trustees… Read More »
1999Wheaton Wins its First NCAA National Championship
The women’s indoor track-and-field team captures Wheaton’s first NCAA national championship in May.