Knapton Hall was designed by Cram, Goodhue & Ferguson and built in 1911. It was the first classroom building to be constructed at Wheaton since the additions made to Mary Lyon Hall in 1878.
Knapton or, as it was then known, Science Hall, was constructed on the site of an apple orchard where students spent Sundays when they were not allowed to leave campus. The cornerstone-laying ceremony held for Science Hall was apparently the first such ceremony held at Wheaton.
When Science Hall opened, it contained classrooms, laboratories
The first floor served as a chapel until Cole Memorial Chapel was built in
A wing was added in 1941 to provide more modern laboratory space. It contained lecture rooms, offices, seminar rooms
This building remained the Science Hall until