1954 - 2001

The Infirmary

The Infirmary, which stood at the southeast corner of Howard Street and Fillmore Drive, replaced Campbell House as College infirmary and health center. Built in 1954 with the facilities to treat 4,000 patients annually, the building contained a waiting room, nurses’ offices, an examination room, an x-ray room, four double rooms, an isolation ward, a kitchen and two nurses’ suites.

Public Safety offices were located in the Infirmary beginning in 1981.

During the summer of 1996, Sturdy Memorial Hospital established a medical center at 14 Taunton Avenue that incorporated the services of Wheaton’s health center. At this time, the section of the Infirmary that housed the health center was converted to student housing.

The building was demolished in 2001 in preparation for the construction of Beard Hall.