Designed by Ralph Adams Cram, and built by L.M. Witherell & Sons of Taunton for $61,693, the Chapel was constructed in 1917. It was dedicated on 16 October 1926 to the memory of the Rev. Samuel Valentine Cole, Trustee from… Read More »
1917 - 1979The Observatory
When Wheaton was granted college status in 1912, the old “Cheese Box” observatory became inadequate. Designed and built in 1917 by Wheaton workmen, this new observatory is situated on the hill behind the President’s House. The location was chosen because… Read More »
Reverend George T. Smart, author and Wheaton College trustee, speaks at commencement.
Catherine Filene Shouse was a member of the class of 1918. Daughter of Lincoln and Theresa Filene, Catherine organized the first Intercollegiate Vocational Conference for Women at Wheaton in 1917, while still a junior. Vocational conferences were held at Wheaton… Read More »
The Reverend Willard L. Sperry speaks at commencement.
In 1919 an African-American student named Elizabeth Baker Lewis attended Wheaton, and had little or no trouble gaining admission to the college.