1911 - 1974
House in the Pines Established
As part of his plan to change Wheaton from a seminary to college, President Cole writes to Gertrude Cornish, a former Wheaton teacher, suggesting that she open a private secondary school for girls in a large house just east of the Seminary. The House in the Pines boarding school opens in the fall, offering secondary education and college preparatory programs, thus filling the role that Wheaton Seminary had played in local education.
House in the Pines closed in 1974 and was sold to Middlebury College, where their archives now reside.