Marshall Center for Intercultural Learning
The property at 19 East Main Street occupied by the Marshall Center was once owned by Judge Laban Wheaton, founder of Wheaton Female Seminary. Upon the judge’s death, the property was bequeathed to his son, Laban Morey Wheaton, in 1846. An original dwelling on the property, built sometime prior to 1855, burned in 1877.
At some time, Davis Gregory came into possession of the home, which he sold to Wheaton College in 1911. The house was purchased for a professor and his family and was referred to by the last name of the currently residing faculty member (e.g. Rogerson, Miller, Gregory, Hubbard, Pearce).
In the 1970s, the house was used as a residence for male students attending Wheaton via exchange programs. In 1986, it became known as the Multicultural Center, evolving from a multipurpose space reserved by students for special events and programs to a fully-staffed center of the College beginning in 2001.
On April 15,