Marguerite C. Hearsey, head of Abbot Academy, is awarded an honorary degree.
Phyllis McGinley Hayden, poet, is an Honorary Degree Recipient.
Constructed on College property with College funds, the Norton Post Office is leased to the US Postal Service. The building was doubled in size in 1968. Until 1957, the town’s post office had been in Pratt’s Store. Wheaton students had… Read More »
Young Hall, the first building on Lower Campus, was the first of a three-dorm unit built east of Peacock Pond in response to a plan for college expansion. It was named for Sarah Belle Young, Professor of English, Registrar, and… Read More »
John P. Dawson, Professor of Law at Harvard Law School, speaks at Commencement.
Eleanor E. Randall, former Wheaton professor of art and senior lecturer at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, is awarded an honorary degree.
Mabel W. Daniels, a composer, is an Honorary Degree Recipient.
Rosemond Tuve, English Professor at Connecticut College, is an Honorary Degree Recipient.
1957 - 1985Gilbert Hood, Jr.
Gilbert Hood was trustee from 1957 to 1982, vice-chairman of the board from 1964 to 1971, treasurer from 1971 to 1975, and trustee emeritus from 1982 until his death in 1985. Mr. Hood received an honorary degree in 1982. His… Read More »
Wheaton students organize the first-ever Fathers’ weekend.
Designed by Shurcliff, Shurcliff & Merrill in 1958, the new athletic fields and tennis courts behind the President’s House (to the east of Clark Recreation Center) replaced smaller units scattered across the campus.
John Ely Burchard, Dean of the School of Humanities and Social Studies at M.I.T., speaks at Commencement.
Dorothy Shaver, president of Lord & Taylor, is awarded an honorary degree.
Meribeth Elliott Cameron, Mount Holyoke College Dean, is an Honorary Degree Recipient.
The Marjorie Otis Memorial Lecture Series in Religion is established through the generosity of Henry Witte Otis, in memory of his first wife, Marjorie Maxfield Otis
The round portion of Chase Dining Hall was built in 1959. Chase Square was added in 1964 to accommodate the increase in student enrollment. Chase Dining Hall was named in honor of William F. Chase, Treasurer of the College, Trustee… Read More »
Dedicated in 1959 and designed by Howard L. Rich, of Rich & Tucker, Assoc., the campus architects, this residence hall was built on Lower Campus in response to the Trustees’ decision to expand enrollment. This was the second dormitory to… Read More »
Meneely Hall, the Humanities classroom building built in 1959, was the first classroom building to be built at Wheaton since 1911. Its construction was in response to the Trustees’ decision to enlarge Wheaton’s enrollment. It is ironic that this modern… Read More »
Dr. Barnaby Conrad Keeney, President of Brown University, speaks at Commencement.
Jean Dalrymple Ginder, Director of New York City Center Theatre & Light Opera Cos., is an Honorary Degree Recipient.