Built in 1829 by Laban Morey Wheaton for his bride Eliza Baylies Chapin, the house became the College President’s residence upon the death of Eliza Wheaton in 1905.
Built in 1834 on the site where the north wing of Mary Lyon Hall now stands, Seminary Hall was the original classroom building for Wheaton Female Seminary. It was moved and re-purposed several times. In 1933 it was moved to… Read More »
1835 - 1965Wheaton Inn
Built in c. 1750, Judge Laban Wheaton, founder of Wheaton Female Seminary, purchased the house in 1819 for his home. Formerly located on the southeast corner of Routes 123 and 140, the house was used as an inn (the “Mansion… Read More »
1836 - 1934The Boarding House
The first, and until 1901 the only, dormitory at Wheaton, the Boarding House was begun in 1836, “talked into existence” by Mary Lyon, encouraged by Eliza Baylies Wheaton. Until its construction, students boarded with the Wheaton families and with other… Read More »
In 1844, a small gymnasium was built between Seminary Hall and the Boarding House (Old Metcalf Hall). It is believed to be the first freestanding gymnasium built at any women’s college in the U.S. In 1878, Mrs. Wheaton donated the… Read More »
1846 - 1965Holmes Cottage
Laban Morey Wheaton built this home for his mother, Fanny Morey Wheaton, after the death of his father in 1846. Originally built on the southeast corner of Howard and Main Streets, it was moved across the street in 1856 when… Read More »
1849Mary Lyon Hall
The new Seminary Hall, the main classroom building, was constructed in 1849 to replace “The Sem.” Seminary Hall was enlarged in 1878 to include a science wing (south wing), gymnasium and library (west wing), additional classrooms (east wing), grand stairway… Read More »
1874 - 1917Cheese Box Observatory
In 1874, to celebrate the Seminary’s 40th Anniversary, Mrs. Wheaton purchased a 4″ refracting telescope (which is in the Archives) from the famed London firm of John Browning. Local workmen built a small observatory to house it.
Harriet Augusta Newcomb presented the Old Town Hall to the town in 1882 as a tribute to her father, Nathaniel Newcomb. The College purchased the Old Town Hall from the town of Norton in 1982. Using the building for storage… Read More »
Mrs. Wheaton gave the original lead statue and fountain of Hebe, the “cupbearer to the gods,” to the Seminary for its fiftieth anniversary in 1884. In the fall of 1932 Hebe was moved to the courtyard created by the new… Read More »
1884 - 1908Bowling Alley
A 50th Anniversary gift to the Seminary from Eliza Baylies Wheaton, the Bowling Alley was constructed in 1884 between the apple orchard (in back of Mary Lyon Hall and in front of Knapton) and the edge of the Dimple. This… Read More »
1888 - 1989Old Norton Public Library
Built on Wheaton land and presented to the Town of Norton by Eliza Baylies Wheaton in 1888, the old Norton Public Library reverted to Wheaton College a century later when the town constructed a new library in 1989.
Deeded to the Trustees by Mrs. Wheaton in 1894, this house was also known as the Brick Cottage or Wheaton Retreat. It was used as an infirmary because of its “airy rooms and sunny exposure” until the purchase of King… Read More »
1894 - 1972Wheeler House
Acquired when Mrs. Wheaton deeded the “Gravel Lot” to the Trustees in 1894, it was used for several purposes before being demolished in 1972. Originally used as a harness shop, the Wheeler or “New” House had been remodeled into a… Read More »
1894 - 1938College Pines
Known as Seminary Woods, and later as College Pines, this area was a favorite destination for student walks. Graduating classes have been donating trees and other plantings to the College since at least 1903.
President Cole asks the young Boston architect Ralph Adams Cram to visit campus and create a campus plan.
Chapin was the first brick building at Wheaton, and the first structure to be placed according to the campus plan devised in 1897/8.
Originally located on East Main Street east of Seminary Hall (Mary Lyon Hall), this house was owned by Mrs. Wheaton who sold it to Mr. Gibbs ca. 1851. Wheaton Seminary acquired it in 1902 as part of the Boynton Estate.… Read More »
Completed in 1903, the gymnasium was designed by George Tilden of Rotch and Tilden. The building was converted to the Admission Center in 1966, after construction of the Clark Recreation Center. After the Haas Athletic Center opened in 1991, the… Read More »
This building served as the Power house and laundry until 1925, when a third floor was added and it was remodeled into a residence. Called “Tower Hall” at that time, it was commonly referred to as the “Doll’s House” by… Read More »