This house, along with Elms and Lindens, was used as a dormitory by the private girls’ school The House in the Pines. Founded in 1911 by Miss Gertrude Cornish, The House in the Pines was a secondary and finishing school.… Read More »
This house, along with Bittersweet and Lindens, was used as a dormitory by the private girls’ school House in the Pines until the school closed in 1972.
This house on Pine Street, along with Elms and Bittersweet, was used as a dormitory by the private girls’ school the House in the Pines until the school closed in 1972.
Constructed with funds raised by alumnae and students beginning in 1928, the Student Alumnae Building (SAB) constructed in 1940, was the first building in the Modern, or International, style at Wheaton. The architects were Caleb Hornbostel and Richard M. Bennett,… Read More »
The Academic Computing Center, which had its origins in a small classroom in Knapton Hall, was moved to the Charles Anderson Dana wing of the Science Center in 1987. In 1997 it was named the Kollett Academic Computing Center. In… Read More »
Purchased by the College at the same time as the Polo Diner, this house was converted to a faculty and, later, a student residence.
Trustee Harry V. Keefe made possible the renovation of the soccer field south of the Meadows complex in memory of his first wife, Jean Mulcahy Keefe, class of 1944, and in honor of her class’s 45th reunion in 1989. Ground… Read More »
Haas Athletic Center was completed in 1991, replacing Clark Recreation Center. Haas Athletic Center was named for Evelyn Danzig Haas, class of 1939, Trustee from 1977 to 1989. The Gymnasium was named in honor of President Alice F. Emerson upon… Read More »
Built in 1992 and named for Marion B. Gebbie, class of 1901, and the Gebbie Foundation, this was the first dormitory built since 1964. The Stone Building Company designed and built Gebbie Hall. Martin Sokolov was the architect. Gebbie Hall… Read More »
The former Rice Garden on the bank between the Wallace Library and Rice Steps was re-landscaped in 1995 with gifts from the families of Mrs. Linda Bartlett Hersey and Priscilla King Gray, both of the class of 1955.
Trustee Jack Sidell donated a 500 seat stadium to be situated on Clark Field; ground was broken in February of 1996. President and chief executive officer of the Boston-based UST Corp., Mr. Sidell was elected to the Board of Trustees… Read More »
Built in 1997-1998, and named for trustee Harry Keefe, this residence hall houses 50 students in suites. Keefe Hall is perpendicular to Gebbie Hall, and its placement required the relocation of Fillmore Drive. Grounds work began in October of 1997.… Read More »
A gift from Jean Jones Beard 1965 and her children, named for trustee, Anson Beard, and Virginia Loeb Weil 1942, the Beard & Weil Galleries open after renovations to Watson Fine Arts Center.
Martin Sokoloff develops a master plan for the future development of the college.
Built in 2002, Beard Hall houses 100 students in suites and singles. Sited on the corner of Howard Street at the intersection with Fillmore Drive, the construction of this dormitory required the removal of the Infirmary built in 1954 and… Read More »
2008 - 2012Art Installation, “Twisted Sisters,” Created
Visiting Artist Patrick Dougherty builds “Twisted Sisters,” a sculpture made of thousands of sapling branches.
Pine Hall, the most significant campus construction project undertaken during President Dennis Hanno’s tenure, broke ground on May 18, 2018 during Commencement and Reunion Weekend. The 45,000-square-foot building, which has a 178-bed capacity, opened in fall 2019. Located near Pine… Read More »