Sweet House was purchased in 1947 from the Sweet family. The following year, the ells were demolished and the porch and interior rebuilt according to a design by the College’s architect, Howard L. Rich. Used for many years as a… Read More »
The attached carriage house of this private residence was “The Campus Shop,” a gift shop catering to Wheaton students from 1948 until 1992 when the College purchased the property. First used for faculty/staff housing, it was converted to a student… Read More »
Shepard Court’s several units are used for faculty housing. These faculty residences were named in honor of Grace F. Shepard, a member of the English Department from 1913 to 1940 and author of Reference History of Wheaton College (1931).
1950The Lyons’ Den
The College purchased this property on Taunton Avenue, including the laundromat next door and the small house on the corner of Howard Street, in 1988. It remained empty for several years, then reopened briefly as the “Crown Victoria.” During spring… Read More »
Constructed on College property with College funds, the Norton Post Office is leased to the US Postal Service. The building was doubled in size in 1968. Until 1957, the town’s post office had been in Pratt’s Store. Wheaton students had… Read More »
Young Hall, the first building on Lower Campus, was the first of a three-dorm unit built east of Peacock Pond in response to a plan for college expansion. It was named for Sarah Belle Young, Professor of English, Registrar, and… Read More »
Designed by Shurcliff, Shurcliff & Merrill in 1958, the new athletic fields and tennis courts behind the President’s House (to the east of Clark Recreation Center) replaced smaller units scattered across the campus.
The round portion of Chase Dining Hall was built in 1959. Chase Square was added in 1964 to accommodate the increase in student enrollment. Chase Dining Hall was named in honor of William F. Chase, Treasurer of the College, Trustee… Read More »
Dedicated in 1959 and designed by Howard L. Rich, of Rich & Tucker, Assoc., the campus architects, this residence hall was built on Lower Campus in response to the Trustees’ decision to expand enrollment. This was the second dormitory to… Read More »
Meneely Hall, the Humanities classroom building built in 1959, was the first classroom building to be built at Wheaton since 1911. Its construction was in response to the Trustees’ decision to enlarge Wheaton’s enrollment. It is ironic that this modern… Read More »
This residence hall was built and dedicated in 1960 to honor Kate Upson Clark, class of 1869. Clark was an active and influential member of Alumnae Association for over 50 years. She was the founder of the New York Wheaton… Read More »
The landscaping facing East Main Street between Young, McIntire and Clark Halls, known as Haviland Court, was made possible by a gift from Mrs. Edward S. Haviland, the mother of Magdalena Vanderlyn Quinby, class of 1931.
1961 - 1963Pratt’s Store & Marty’s Coffee House
Pratt’s Store (originally Rogerson’s Store) stood just east of the Wheaton Inn. Although it was only steps away, students had to ask permission to leave the Seminary campus to visit the store. Pratt’s Store housed Norton’s post office from the… Read More »
Watson Fine Arts Center, built in 1962, did not follow the Hornbostel & Bennett plan which won the 1938 Fine Arts Center Competition, but was designed by Howard L. Rich, Rich & Tucker Association. Wheaton’s first Fine Arts Center was… Read More »
Dedicated in 1963, Hood Court is between Meneely and Watson Fine Arts Center. Hood Court was named in honor of Gilbert Hood, Trustee from 1957 to 1982 (Emeritus) and his daughter Emily Hood, class of 1953.
This residence hall is divided into three parts: Meadows North, Meadows West and Meadows East. Ground was broken for the dormitory in 1963, and it was completed in 1964. It was named for Sylvia Meadows, class of 1918, member of… Read More »
Clark Recreation Center was built in 1965 to replace the 1903 Gymnasium. The Haas Athletic Center replaced it in 1991. Clark Recreation Center included offices, dressing rooms, storage space and a gymnasium. The teakwood-vaulted ceiling enclosed two basketball, six badminton,… Read More »
The new nursery school was built in 1966 and was constructed on the site of Holmes Cottage.
The Outdoor Chapel, also known as the Woodland Chapel, was established in 1967 at the request of Susan Johnson, class of 1969, then president of the Religious Association, and the other RA members.
In 1968, science classes and laboratories were moved to the Science Center from Knapton Hall.