Ruth S. Berry was a member of the class of 1925. In 1983, a room in Mary Lyon Hall was dedicated to her through a gift she made for its renovation.
1925Ruth S. Berry
1925 - 1956Elsie Elizabeth Gulley
Elsie Elizabeth Gulley was a member of the history department from 1925 to 1956. The Amen-Gulley House was named after Elsie, along with Elisabeth Wheeler Amen, with whom she lived.
1926 - 1944John Edgar Park
The Reverend John Edgar Park (1879-1956) became president in 1926. Wheaton’s growth and vitality during Park’s presidency is particularly noteworthy: student enrollment increased steadily and the building program begun by President Cole continued. J. Edgar Park retired in 1944 at… Read More »
1926 - 1940Art Studio
The small wood-frame, barn-like structure was built by college carpenters in 1926 between the Doll’s House and Gymnasium. This fire hazard of a building had no heat or running water, making it inconvenient and unusable for several months of the… Read More »
Plans for this dormitory were drawn by Cram & Ferguson, and President Samuel Valentine Cole was seeking funding when he suddenly died in 1925. Acting President and Trustee Dr. George T. Smart brought Everett into being. At the building’s dedication… Read More »
Purchased from Blanch Wood in 1926, 5 Howard Street is commonly thought to have been constructed by Laban Wheaton from two ells taken from different buildings he owned. The house was remodeled in 1929 and 1945 to house college workers.… Read More »
John Livingston Lowes, Professor of English at Harvard University, speaks at Commencement.
1926 - 1935Edith M. White
Edith M. White was a Professor of Economics from 1926 to 1930 and Dean of Freshman from 1929 to 1935.
1927 - 1963Hodges House
Hodges House, originally called Wetherell House, was purchased from Thomas and Jessie T. Wetherell in 1927 for a faculty residence. After it was renovated, it was used for housing male workers, so it was sometimes called the “YMCA.” It was… Read More »
Dr. William Herbert Perry Faunce, President of Brown University, speaks at Commencement.
The Alumnae Council standardizes the class rings to the Pan and Pegasus designs.
Cornelia James Cannon speaks at commencement and is awarded an honorary degree.
Kathryn Newell Adams, president of Constantinople Woman’s College, is awarded an honorary degree.
A marsh was excavated and transformed into Peacock Pond, which, in its first years, was used for swimming, boating and skating. Seniors first successfully floated their candles on it in 1930. The Greek Metcalf Temple on the pond’s western shore… Read More »
Irving Babbitt, Professor at Harvard University, speaks at Commencement.
Though the College had long tracked the religious affiliation of applicants in some form or another, it did not become a deciding factor in admissions until the mid-1920s. In a 1926 letter to President Park, Edith White, Director of Admission,… Read More »
Mayo D. Hersey speaks at commencement.
The Nursery School is founded by Professor of Psychology and Education Dr. Elizabeth Wheeler Amen.
Built in 1931 entirely by college workmen under the direction of Mr. Cutler in cooperation with the Education and Psychology Departments, the Nursery School cost $10,400. The Nursery School was enlarged in 1937, when a one-way vision observation screen was… Read More »
1931 - 1995Oceans View
Acquired in 1931, the house was remodeled into a two-family residence in 1932, using many fixtures and lumber taken from the demolished portion of Old Metcalf Hall. A porch was added in 1935. The barn was renovated into a practice,… Read More »